'POSITIVE DISCIPLINE' WORKSHOP : Next one beginning 2018 | 6.30pm - 8.30pm
'POSITIVE DISCIPLINE' : HOW TO USE THE POWER OF PRAISE TO ADDRESS PROBLEM BEHAVIOURS.
This workshop draws from attachment theory, Emotion Coaching, and Parent-Child Interaction Therapy treatments that are aimed at addressing disruptive behavior in young children. The reasons behind children’s behavior come from a number of sources, but the ways to address them are simple and logical if they are applied with consistency and predictability. We will focus on positive discipline strategies, including how to pay more attention to children when they are behaving well, than when they are not. You will learn ways to connect with your child in a way that fosters deeper understanding, enhances attachment, and creates parent-child attunement.
By the end of the evening you will know how to:
- Transform negative, attention-seeking behaviours to positive, praise-worthy changes in your child
- Respond appropriately to tantrums and melt-downs
- Phrase instructions to your child that they will understand and respond to more quickly
- Effectively choose when your child is able to learn from their behaviour and when they are not
- Connect with your child through specialized attachment-focused, self-esteem-boosting playtime in just 5 to 10 minutes per day.
You will leave with a set of tools and handouts to help you apply your new skills right away!
Included in the evening workshop is a free 20-minute phone consultation with Counsellor Kate about anything you like related to children, parenting, relationships, or counselling.
What parents are saying about this workshop:
"Super informative!" "Kate was a great speaker." "The information I got was more than I expected."
MEET THE FACILITATOR :
Kate Saunders has over 15 years of experience at Westcoast Family Centres as a counsellor and parent educator, specializing in working with children and families. Kate completed her BA in Child Youth Care and her MA in Counselling Psychology, and is a Registered Clinical Counsellor in BC. She works therapeutically with teens and adults, with children in play therapy, and with parents and children together to address challenging behaviors. Kate is a certified practitioner of Parent-Child Interaction Therapy, one of the few empirically-valid treatments for disruptive behavior in young children. Kate focusses particularly on supporting healthy attachment and emotional development with all of her clients.
Next one beginning 2018 | 6.30-8.30pm | $40 for one parent, $60 for both parents to attend.
PLEASE NOTE: * hese workshops sell out - so Please Register early to avoid disappointment! All booking is online. Turning up on the day is not permitted as we have a limited amount of spaces available.
* Babies or very young infants are welcome, but please leave mobile children at home.
* The café is not open during evening workshops, so bring your desired beverage with you ;)